> WhisperPower and Rainbow win ShowBoats Design and Technology Award
WhisperPower and Rainbow win ShowBoats Design and Technology Award
The WhisperPower high-tech propulsion system on J-Class yacht Rainbow has been awarded the top design and technology prize at the Showboats Design Awards 2013 held last month during a ceremony in Monte Carlo.
Following a unanimous decision, the WhisperPower system onboard of SY Rainbow was announced as the winner of the Design and Technology category. This hybrid power and propulsion solution meets the power and space needs of a modern J-Class project.
It has been developed to be low weight, provide electric propulsion and achieve significant energy storage whether racing, cruising or at anchor. The WhisperPower System is 40% lighter than a standard genset concept and over a 6 month analysis, reduced Rainbow's fuel consulting by 35%.
Various additional design and functionality features contribute to the success of this system:
- Electric propulsion during some hours (50 kW, > 5 knots)
- Sail management and other hydraulic functions like maneuvering operate via the inverter on the two Hy-Store banks of 40kW Li-ion battery packs. The generator is switched off during sailing.
- The batteries are recharged during sailing (12 kW max), utilizing the 50 kW permanent magnet flywheel integrated electrical alternator/ electrical motor, which is connected to the shaft and CPP propeller. Under sail at nine to 10 knots, the system produces 15kW of regenerative power through the shaft system alone, enough to run the systems and charge batteries.
- A new way of power generation is offered by the 50 kW GENVERTER, a variable speed ultra compact and light weight diesel generator (cont. power 50 kW/ 1200-3600 rpm/ fly wheel integrated AC alternator, based on Steyr 4-Cylinder engine). Being extremely quiet and fuel efficient, the GENVERTER switches off when the batteries are re-charged, the DC to AC inverter will take over the power supply automatically. Large main switchboards become superfluous.
- Extended periods of silent AC power (3 x 400 VAC)/ 230 V/50 Hz) is offered by the DC to AC inverter, connected to the Li ION batteries.
- HY- Shore: the yacht's electrical system can be plugged into any shore power connection in the world, disregarding the frequency (50 / 60 Hz) as the system has a build-in frequency converter. Galvanic isolation is taken care of by the integrated isolation transformer.
Now in its fourth year, the annual Showboats Design Awards honor and recognize the creative and innovative design talents across the Superyacht Industry. This year's ceremony, held at the Monaco Opera house, saw designers, stylists, naval architects and innovators receive recognition for their work on super yachts launched in 2012 with winners being presented with the coveted golden Neptune award.